- Feature Links
The following statements have been developed to educate our users and demonstrate our commitment to your privacy.
Purpose of the Web Site
It is the purpose of the official City of Portsmouth, Virginia website to provide non-editorial content and information about the functions, services, activities, issues, operations and projects of the City of Portsmouth municipal government. When/where appropriate, the website may be used to facilitate the delivery of direct services provided by the Portsmouth municipal government to its citizens and visitors. City of Portsmouth municipal government offices, departments, agencies, governing bodies, boards, and commissions are eligible to submit content or request the posting or hypertext linking to appropriate information to support their mission or service initiatives. Unless sponsored by an eligible user (as defined above), other individuals or groups are not eligible. All internet posting requests must come from an eligible user.
IP Addresses & Cookies
The security of the information you provide to the City of Portsmouth is important to us. The information provided through the use of this site's forms may be used for registration for an event and to provide the user(s) with requested information. However, the City of Portsmouth site includes links to other sites, and when you choose to visit those sites, we are not responsible for the privacy policies or how user information is utilized. In addition, we may permit third parties to offer registration-based services through our site which serves a City Government purpose.
We are not responsible for the actions and policies of these third parties, and encourage individuals to review the privacy policies of these parties when supplying personally identifiable information to them.
Links to & From City of Portsmouth Web Sites
External links may be made to websites that meet the following criteria:
- Sites that are owned and managed by a state, local or federal governmental agency or local school board.
- Sites that are maintained by an organization that receives direct financial support from the City.
- Sites that have a direct contractual relationship with the City for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites that provide a unique online resource that will assist in the provision of services and/or information that compliment the purpose of the City's Web presence as outlined above.
External links will not be made to sites that fall within any of the following criteria:
- Sites that are owned or managed by a political party, candidate or special interest group or are of a political nature that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal.
- Sites that are owned, managed or provide content for commercial, non-profit, religious, community, civic or other organizations that do not have a direct contractual relationship with the City for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites containing any materials that may reasonably be considered scurrilous or offensive. Offensive materials are defined as having sexual content or images, slurs against race, religious or political beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disabilities.
Links may be made to the City of Portsmouth website and should be pointed to the City's homepage.
The City may collect and store information for statistical purposes. For example, the City may count the number of users to the different sections of the Site to help make those sections more useful to users.
City Logo Limitation of Use (Service Mark/Trademark Protection Statement)
The City of Portsmouth logo is a service mark that is registered with the State Corporation Commission of Virginia, in accordance with the Virginia Trademark and Service Mark Act. Prior written permission must be obtained before using this logo. Permission, if granted, is for one-time use only for the intended purpose, and, it is only to be used by the entity granted the permission. Redistribution, graphic manipulation and/or embellishment are prohibited.
- The City of Portsmouth logo may not be used for the following:
- Endorsement or promotion of anyone for political office.
- Endorsement or promotion of any products, goods or services, without written permission.
- To degrade or cause damage to the image and reputation of the City of Portsmouth.
If you have questions or wish to obtain written permission to use the logo, please contact the City of Portsmouth Marketing and Communications Department at 757-393-5143.
Acceptance of Terms
- You agree that you will not violate (or attempt to violate) the security of this website by hacking, sending viruses, or any other similar malicious or careless conduct.
- You agree that you will not utilize the communication methods found within the website for the communication of any material that may reasonably be considered scurrilous or offensive. Offensive materials are defined as having sexual content or images or slurs against race, religious or political beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or physical attributes.
- You agree not to upload (or attempt to upload) content of any type to this website.
- You acknowledge that you have no right to the intellectual property associated with this website and that you have only a limited right to use this website.
- You acknowledge that the City does not warrant the accuracy or availability of this website.
- You acknowledge that the City is not responsible for any loss, damage, or injury that you may have as a result of your use of this website.
- You agree to be bound by the laws applicable in Portsmouth with respect to your use of the website and you agree that any court proceedings relating to your use of the website will take place in the Judicial District of Portsmouth.
- You agree to grant the City all intellectual property rights in the content of any email that you send to the City and understand that all emails may be subject to disclosure under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- Reference herein to any specific commercial products, processes, or services by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the City of Portsmouth, Virginia.
If you do not AGREE to ALL of these terms, please refrain from use.