- Departments G-Z
- Permits & Inspections
- Rental Inspections
Rental Inspection Ordinance & Rental Inspection Districts
The City of Portsmouth has adopted a new Rental Inspection Program applicable to Rental dwelling units located in rental inspection districts. The new program became effective July 1, 2005.
New Rental Program Highlights:
- Rental Inspections are annual.
- Exemptions can be approved for 4-years.
- Initial inspection: $50.
- Follow-up inspection and each subsequent re-inspection until violations have been corrected: $50.
- Only 10% of multi-family dwellings will be inspected.
- Rental Inspection Guidelines.
Maps & Forms
View the maps, which may be zoomed in on, of:
- Rental Inspection Districts Map
- Rental Inspection District Map and Rental Property Identification Form (PDF)
Department of Permits and Inspections
801 Crawford Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704
If your property is not located within the rental inspection districts (PDF) and you have an escrow account with us, submit a request in writing to the Manager of Code Enforcement for a refund of unused funds.