Building Permits & Inspections
This department is responsible under the Uniform Statewide Building Code to enforce the Building Codes as they relate to the manner in which a building is constructed, altered, renovated or has a change of use, to assure that it is sound and reasonably safe:
- Assuring the appropriate and required accessibility guidelines are met.
- Reviewing all construction activity to ensure compliance with the USBC and the supporting codes: Virginia Residential Code, Virginia Plumbing Code, Virginia Mechanical Code, Virginia and National Electric Code, floodplain regulations, and the local zoning code.
The Department, in addition to review of applicants and plans, also performs various construction trade inspections. These include:
- Performing on-site inspections to assure compliance with all new construction regulations
- Inspecting existing commercial buildings when applications are made for business licenses when a change of use is proposed, or when a business has been closed for at least 90 days.
- Administering the inspection program for new elevator installations as well as elevator maintenance and amusement rides to ensure public safety
- Performing electrical inspections on structures that are vacated a minimum of thirty days
To assist the other departments:
- Assist when called on for damage assessment
- Provide technical assistance
- Determine the occupant load and use of buildings
- Verifies applicants for tradesman certification
- Verifies state as well as city licenses
- Provides technical assistance to private architects, engineer, contractors and homeowners.