Marketing, Communications & Tourism
To strategically and consistently position Portsmouth, Virginia as a vibrant, prosperous, and desirable place to live, work, play, learn and conduct business using an "inside-out" approach within a 50-mile radius of Hampton Roads.
Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
Marketing, Communications and Tourism will focus on our promotional efforts on our unique attractions, heritage, history, and centralized location. We will utilize cost-effective, creative and innovate solution that build synergy and position the "New Portsmouth" as a viable and livable city within the heart of Hampton Roads.
End Result: Consistent branding and promotion of the City of Portsmouth
Strategic Goals / Critical Success Factors
- Image Enhancement: present a unified and consistent voice across all functional areas and departments
- Positive Return-On-Investment (ROI): cost-effective media buys, earned media, and promotional advertising.
- Position & Placement: enhanced strategic position and product within the region and beyond
- Marketable Assets: consistently brand and cultivate interest in offerings using an integrated marketing approach to create impact
- Economic Development: build synergy, vibrancy, and instill a "Passion for Portsmouth" through business retention efforts
- Portsmouth Community Television (PCTV): utilize the municipal channel as a primary connection between city government service delivery, public meetings with the residents/citizens of Portsmouth and the region
Areas of Responsibility
- Promotional Advertising (Agency Contract Management / Liaison)
- Logo & Brand Management
- Website Management
- Research / Marketing Surveys
- Media Relations / Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Internal Communications / Marketing
- Public Access Television (PCTV)
- Social Media
- Community Relations / Partnerships
- Citizen Advocacy
- Tourism, Attractions and & Visitor Services
- Visitor Information Centers
- Portsmouth Pavilion Oversight / Contract Management
- PCTV Schedule (PDF)
& Media Sales
Advertisers and media sales, please contact the City's agency of record Arengee at 757-213-6818.