- Departments G-Z
- Marketing & Communications
Marketing & Communications
Mission Statement:To strategically and consistently position Portsmouth, as a vibrant, prosperous, and desirable place to live, work, play, learn and conduct business using an "inside-out" approach within a 50-mile radius of Hampton Roads.
Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
Marketing and Communications will focus on our promotional efforts on our unique attractions, heritage, history, and our centralized location. We will utilize cost-effective, creative and innovative solutions that build synergy and position the "New Portsmouth" as a viable and livable city within the heart of Hampton Roads.
End Result: Consistent branding and promotion of the City of Portsmouth
Strategic Goals / 7 Critical Success Factors
- Image Enhancement: present a unified and consistent voice across all functional areas and departments
- Return-On-Investment (ROI): negotiate cost-effective media buys, earned media, and promotional advertising that yield value-added and a positive ROI.
- Position & Placement: enhance our strategic position and product within the region and beyond.
- Marketable Assets: brand and cultivate interest in offerings using an integrated marketing approach to create
on a consistent basis. impact
- Economic Development: build synergy, vibrancy, and instill a "Passion for Portsmouth" through business retention efforts.
- Portsmouth Community Television (PCTV): utilize the municipal channel as a primary connection between city government service delivery, public meetings with the residents/citizens of Portsmouth and the region.
- 311 Non-Emergency Call Center: provide accurate and timely information related to non-emergencies, city services, concerns, and issues important to citizens and residents.
- Communications and media relations, promotional advertising, media-buying, branding and brand management.
Areas of Responsibility
- Promotional Advertising (Agency Contract Management / Liaison)
- Logo & Brand Management
- Website Management
- Research / Marketing Surveys
- Media Relations / Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Internal Communications / Marketing
- Public Access Television (PCTV)
- Social Media
- Community Relations / Partnerships
- Citizen Advocacy
- City Hall Information Center
- Pavilion Oversight / Contract Management
- PCTV Schedule (PDF)
& Media Sales
Advertisers and media sales, please contact the City's agency of record Davis Ad Agency at 757-627-7373.