Concealed Handgun Permits
Requirements for applying for a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply,
- Must provide proof of residency in the City of Portsmouth,
- Must provide proof of in-person firearms training or safety class or course, or
- Previously issued unexpired concealed handgun permit, or
- Proof of service in military (currently military ID)
- Retired military must provide a copy of their DD-214
Application fee is non-refundable
- $55.00 - Cash or Check
- $57.20 - Credit or Debit Card (MasterCard or VISA only)
Application is available on the Virginia State Police website
- Bring completed application to the Portsmouth Circuit Court Clerk’s Office located at 1345 Court Street, Suite 101, Portsmouth, VA between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Provide proof of residency in the City of Portsmouth
- Driver’s license or DMV issued ID with your Portsmouth address on it
- Other acceptable forms of residency include
- DMV vehicle registration
- DMV issued change of address card
- Personal property tax bill
- Unexpired lease
- Current utility bill (in your name)
- Once application is verified and payment is made, your application will be forwarded to the Portsmouth Police Department for a background check
- If approved, permit will be mailed to the address on your application
Permits are valid for five (5) years from date of issue.
Permit Renewal - (VA Code 18.2-308.010)
Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for a new permit, along with a copy of the unexpired permit, Driver's license, and a check for $55.00, may be submitted via the United States mail.
In order to use an existing permit as proof of handgun competency, you must apply BEFORE your permit expires. After your permit expires, you must provide proof of completing any in-person firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.
Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
Request an Application Package by contacting the Virginia State Police Firearms Transaction Center in writing at the below address or on-line at [email protected] All written requests must include the applicant’s complete name and mailing address. A telephone number is also requested. Send written requests to:
Firearms Transaction Center
Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Department of State Police
P.O. Box 85141
Richmond, VA 23285-5141
Virginia State Police Links and Resources
Change of Address
You may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address.
The fee for processing a change of address is
- $15.00 – Cash
- $17.00 – Credit or Debit Card (MasterCard or VISA only)
Lost or Stolen Permits
The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of proof of Identification by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit.
The fee for processing a Lost or Stolen permit is
- $10.00 – Cash
- $12.00 – Credit or Debit Card (MasterCard or VISA only)