Historic Preservation Commission
Out of an abundance of caution due to novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), all City of Portsmouth Planning Department offices are currently physically closed to the public. However, our staff is still working and is here to assist you virtually. The public is encouraged to use the city’s online options for services.
Visit this page for more details regarding virtual meetings and status.
Applicants are encouraged to contact staff via email or phone.
- 5 p.m.
- 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Meeting held virtually in the Microsoft Teams application
- View the meeting here
- Or listen to the meeting by calling 804-294-1932 Conference ID: 989 017 609#.
- Parties wishing to provide comments on specific agenda items may send comments by fax to 757-393-5223, or by mail to the Planning Department, 801 Crawford Street Portsmouth, VA 23704-3822, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide correspondence prior to the public hearing day.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Renee Schneider, Chairwoman
- Sean Prince, Vice Chairman
- Edward Barham
- Thomas Butt
- Chris Crowder
- Sallie Grant-DiVenuti
- Matthew Kloeppel
- G Quince
- Paula Gilley-Sawyer
Downloaded and print off the Certificate of Appropriateness Application Form (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
The Historic Preservation Commission will provide consistent deliberations on requests to alter historic structures within the historic Cradock, Olde Towne, Park View, Port Norfolk and Truxtun neighborhoods. They will be sensitive to each request and will ensure that each decision is reflective of local building standards and the Secretary of Interiors Guidelines for Rehabilitation of Historic Structures.