801 Crawford Street
Office Hours (Except on Holidays)
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Send Correspondence to:
James L. “Jimmy” Williams
Portsmouth City Treasurer
801 Crawford St.
Portsmouth, VA 23704
4934 High Street West
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Real Estate Tax & Stormwater Management Utility Fee
For information concerning
your Real Estate Tax Payments,
please call (757) 393-8651, option 2.
- For information concerning Stormwater Management Utility Fee, call (757) 393-8595
For information on
Real Estate Assessments, call the City
Assessor at (757) 393-8631.
Personal Property and License Fee
Annual Due Date: June 5
- New purchase or new resident — due as indicated on statement.
- For personal property tax assessment information, call the Commissioner of Revenue's Office at (757) 393-8779.
- To discuss payment of personal property taxes, call the City Treasurer's Office at (757) 393-8651, option 1.
- The City of Portsmouth prorates personal property taxes based on the number of months the personal property is garaged in the City of Portsmouth. If you have sold or otherwise disposed of a vehicle or if you have permanently moved from the City of Portsmouth, please notify the Commissioner of Revenue's Office at (757) 393-8779.
- All vehicles, boats, trailers, and motorcycles registered with the Commonwealth of Virginia as being garaged or located in the City of Portsmouth must pay a License Fee. Failure to pay the Personal Property Tax and License Fee will be subject to penalty, interest, and legal collections per the Code of Virginia and the Code of the City of Portsmouth.
The owner of any dog that is
four months old or older shall apply for a city
dog license from the City Treasurer’s Office.
Licenses may be purchased in
1 , 2 or 3 year increments.
Requirement: Updated Rabies
Licenses may also be
purchased at the Portsmouth Humane Society,
4022 Seaboard Court, Portsmouth VA 23701.
Licenses expire on December 31st,
however dog owners have until January 31st to
purchase a new license.
For further information,
contact the City Treasurer’s Office
at (757) 393-8651.
Effective January 1, 2007 Veterinarians shall provide rabies certificated to City Treasurers.
Trustee Taxes (Food/Alcohol, Lodging, Amusement)
Short Term Rentals
- Short Term Rental is due and payable on or before the 20th day of April, July, October, and January based on the preceding month's gross rentals. Penalty and interest
applies to late payments.
- For information on billing
contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office
at (757) 393-8779.
- For payment information
contact the City Treasurer’s Office at (757)
Personal Property Tax Relief
Effective January 1 , 2006
The 2005 General Assembly capped the total
cost of car tax relief for the Commonwealth at $950 million.
Each locality’s share of the $950 million is based upon car tax
relief reimbursements from the Commonwealth to the locality for
tax year 2004. The amount of car tax relief on each qualifying
vehicle in the City of Portsmouth is based upon total car tax
relief dollars received by the City of Portsmouth from the
Commonwealth divided by the total tax on all qualifying vehicles
in the City of Portsmouth. The dollar amount of tax relief
applicable to your qualifying vehicle appears on the face of
your Personal Property Tax and License Fee Statement.
Penalty and Interest
Penalty and interest is applied to the late payment of all personal property taxes and license fees. The
penalty is 10% and is applied the first day following the due
date. Interest accrues at 10% per year or .00833 immediately
following the due date and on the first day of each month until
the taxes and personal property taxes and license fees are "paid in full".