- Inmate Information >
Visitation Guidelines - Jail Policy / Video Policy
There are many families that have never experienced having to deal with someone they know being incarcerated. We have strict guidelines that must be adhered to for everyone's well being and safety.
Each inmate received a booklet with the rules and regulations of the Portsmouth City Jail. When the inmate calls home and/or on visiting nights they should share this information with family members and friends.
Professional visits guidelines for Attorney's, click here
Some of the most frequently asked questions and general requests from family are:
- NO - money can not be released from the inmate's canteen fund to pay bills, etc.
- YES - the inmate may have a soft cover bible. (This may be left at the lobby desk.)
- NO - personal property will not be released from inmate's property bag
- NO - release date information will be given out
- NO - special visits. Family members need to make arrangements to visit on the assigned visiting day
- NO - polaroid pictures / no nudity pictures
- NO - underwear, T-shirt, or socks will not be accepted in the lobby; these items must be purchased through the canteen
- NO - food items can not be brought to an inmate
- NO - children under 12 years of age allowed in the lobby; visitors must have a picture ID; visits are for 15 minutes between the hours of 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. See floor schedule below
Due to our occupancy rating provide by the Fire Marshall, there can not be more than 10 people allowed. Because of this regulation we have implemented additional guidelines for the Lobby.
They are as follows:
- No More waiting in the lobby for visitaton
- Visitor will enter the lobby with I.D. (Only 2 people per inmate's visit)
- You must be checked in with Lobby Personnel by 8:45PM
- You will be signed in for the visit by the Lobby personnel
- You will then exit the lobby and wait outside or the J & D Court Bldg Lobby. We will follow Courtroom
- NO Cell Phones
- NO Weapons
- NO Drugs
- NO Food or Drinks
- NO Children under 12
- NO Cell Phones
- You will be called into the lobby once the inmate is ready for the visit
- You must leave the lobby once your visit is complete.
VISITING: 6:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
|Monday||3RD / 8A|
|Tuesday||5TH / 8B|
|Wednesday||4TH / 8C|