City Hall Building
801 Crawford Street, 4th floor
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Phone (757) 393-8836
Fax (757) 393-5223
PARKS, RECREATION & LEISURE SERVICES
Recommendation Area: Community Facilities
Community facilities should be developed, maintained, and operated to support recreation programs and needs of residents to provide various levels of services to a wide level of age groups and user types to maximize the value they provide to the community.
Update community facilities, both indoor and outdoor, to maximize their use and appreciation by the community for people of all ages to enhance the value of sports, fitness, ‘quality of life’ skill programs, arts as well as social places for the community to gather and celebrate living in Portsmouth.
1. Upgrade existing park and facility uses to attract more users.
- A list of uses for Portsmouth’s Park System that meets the needs of the residents will include looking at national standards, taking public input and recommendations from the Department of Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services. This is an ongoing process and will evolve as desired uses evolve.
- In addition to the specific program items, the availability of multi-purpose parks would allow greater use for different ages as well as interests within the community/City.
2. Upgrade existing parks to create a strong image of public spaces in the City.
- Public parks enhance a community’s image and help define a sense of place. Community perception is important.
- While individual homes reflect the owner, parks reflect the neighborhood and entire city. The condition and character of a park or facility contributes to a perception of that neighborhood or city.
Return to the main Parks, Recreation & Liesure Service Master Plan page