Virginia Cooperative Extension Program
4-H Youth Development
4-H is the comprehensive youth development program of Virginia Cooperative Extension. Youth ages 5 to 18 engage in hands-on learning experiences under the guidance of 4-H agents and trained adult or teen 4-H volunteers. Youth learn life skills through their involvement in 4-H programs. The Portsmouth 4-H program offers programs in the following areas:
- The Portsmouth 4-H Teen Club is open for all youth ages 13-18
- Leadership/Personal Development
- Environmental Education and Natural Resources
- Science and Technology
- Foods, Nutrition, and Health
If you are interested in these or other 4-H youth programs, please contact Mya Braxton, 4-H Extension Agent at 757-393-8109. email@example.com
- Commercial and Environmental Horticulture
Educational information about horticultural topics is available to homeowners and industry professionals. Contact the Environmental Horticulture Agent, Cyndi Wyskiewicz at 757-393-5314.
- Gardening and landscaping
- Environmental education for youth and adults
- Pesticide applicator training
- Soil analysis
Plant disease diagnosis, insect and weed identification
Master Gardener Volunteer Training classes and Consumer Helpline
Dates to Remember:
- Spring Open Garden Event & Plant Sale - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9-2:00pm
- Fall Festival and Yard and Plant Sale- Saturday October 13, 2012 9-2:00pm
- Gardening lectures at the Churchland Branch of the Portsmouth Public Library - Second Wednesday 6:30-7:30pm. Free lectures- call 757-393-5314 for topics and registration.
Master Gardener intern training for 2013 will be starting in early February. The 12 week training runs through April. Please call 393-5314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.