Department of General Services
Waste Management Division
2011 Frederick Blvd., Portsmouth, VA 23704
Phone: 757-393-8663 Fax: 757-399-4135
Refuse Collection Rules and Regulations
Please call the Waste Management office at 393-8663 concerning any item below.
Bulk refuse is to be placed at the curb no sooner than the day before your normal collection and no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of collection.
Bulk refuse must be placed away from parked cars, power lines, tree branches, cable boxes, and water meters.
Bulk refuse will not be picked up from a business.
Bulk refuse piles shall be no greater than 8 ft. X 10 ft. X 8 ft. in height.
Yard waste (leaves and grass) must be placed in clear plastic bags not to exceed 25 pounds and placed for collection at the same time as garbage cans.
Maximum of 20 bags of yard waste per pickup.
Do not mix boxes with bulk refuse.
Special arrangements are available for move-ins and move-outs.
Landlords are responsible for removing all debris from the curb after evictions.
Call to schedule a tire pickup. Tires must be off of the rim. Commercial truck tires will not be picked up.
Items that will not be picked up include, but are not limited to:
• Debris generated by contractors
• Hazardous materials
• Automobile parts
Trees cut down by a contractor or tree parts greater than 18” in diameter must be removed by the contractor or private waste hauler.
- Garbage cans should be placed at the curb for collection at any time after 5:00 p.m. the day before collection and by 7:00 a.m. the day of collection.
- Empty garbage cans must be removed from the curb by 7:00 p.m. the day of collection.
- Garbage not placed in city supplied garbage cans will not be picked up. If there is extra garbage that will not fit in the can, call the day before your scheduled pick up to arrange for bags to be picked up.
- Garbage must be in clear bags and not to exceed 25 pounds.
- Residents may purchase a second garbage can from Waste Management.
- All services (bulk, trash pickup, yard waste) are rendered on the same day. Please check the Pickup Schedule.
- Special arrangements are available for disabled citizens.
- There are no exemptions from the monthly refuse fee.
- Violations of these rules and regulations may result in fines or assessed penalties on real estate bills.