Fraud, Waste & Abuse Hotline
The City of Portsmouth Fraud, Waste and Abuse Hotline number is 757-393-8678 and is administered by the Office of the City Auditor. The hotline is designed to assist City employees, departments, agencies and programs in preventing and detecting incidents of waste, fraud, and abuse in the City of Portsmouth. Use your discretion relative to disclosing your name or remaining anonymous when reporting a specific incident. When reporting, please provide the following information:
- Provide the circumstances of the incident
- Provide the name of the agency and subject (s) involved
- Identify any relevant evidence and/or documentation that may be available
- Identify any available documentation
- Provide dates, times, names, and locations
- Submit the names of credible witnesses
As defined by Virginia Code § 15.2-2511.2, definitions for Fraud, Waste, and Abuse are as follows:
- Fraud means the intentional deception perpetrated by an individual or individuals, or an organization or organizations, either internal or external to local government that could result in a tangible or intangible benefit to themselves, others, or the locality or could cause detriment to others or the locality. Fraud includes a false representation of a matter of fact, whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading statements, or by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive.
- Waste means the intentional or unintentional, thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use, or squandering of resources owned or operated by the locality to the detriment or potential detriment of the locality. Waste also includes incurring unnecessary costs because of inefficient or ineffective practices, systems, or controls.
- Abuse means the excessive or improper use of something, or the employment of something in a manner contrary to the natural or legal rules for its use; the intentional destruction, diversion, manipulation, misapplication, maltreatment, or misuse of resources owned or operated by the locality; or extravagant or excessive use so as to abuse one's position or authority.